it’s a miracle how i managed to only look sort of derp here
why does japan even have forever 21 i thought they were incapable of wearing ugly things
Oh man. It soooo depends on what you consider good and evil. I’m going to give this a try, but I have to be all complex and wordy about it, because of my debilitating allergy to oversimplification. Let’s do bullet points:
- Most likely to put oneself in danger to help others: Gideon. Runner up: Koth.
- Most conscientious (and therefore most likely to be wracked by guilt): Elspeth. Runner up: Karn.
- Most potential for joy and big-heartedness: Chandra. Runner up: Tamiyo, which feels strange to say, but I guess that’s how I think of her.
- Most calming influence in times of distress: Ajani. Runner up: Jace.
- Most confident, self-actualized, and capable of great things: Liliana. Runner up: Xenagos.
- Most focused on the greater good and plane-wide threats: Nissa. Runner up: Gideon.
Lots of good hero candidates in there. Which one is the Absolutely Most Shiny-Haloed depends on your values, or possibly on what’s going on in their lives around them. Grim circumstances can make heroes shine even when they weren’t picked for Most Likely to Help Old Ladies Cross the Street in their high school yearbook.
And now for eeeevil.
- Most hungry for vast power: Nicol Bolas. Runner up: Is it Tezzeret or Liliana? Or is Liliana actually first? They all want to be first, of course. I think Tezzeret is more of a “I’ll show everybody” guy rather than “I want to rule everything” guy, but I mean, the difference can be slim in practice. Vraska’s in the running here too, potentially. Oh, black-aligned characters! You love this category.
- Most power and resources combined with desire to harm others: Nicol Bolas, for sure (remember, we’re just talking about planeswalkers here — certainly there are powerful threats out there that are not planeswalkers). I think this makes Bolas a good candidate for “most evil,” just because his potential for wide-ranging harm is so vast. Runner up: It’s funny, but I am personally pretty scared of cursed Garruk right now — he is less stoppable than people think. But he’s a distant second — he’s formidable, but doesn’t have an organization like Bolas does. Tezzeret would love to be in contention in this category someday.
- Most interested in intentionally causing distress: Tibalt. Runner up: Ashiok.
- Most apathetic, or least caring about individual people: Sorin. Runner up: Tibalt. Domri might be in here too? Am I mischaracterizing Domri?
- Most unstable: Sarkhan. Runner up: Ral Zarek, maybe? You could put Garruk here too, currently.
There are many more gradations on the nuanced Morality Landscape. I think of it more as a complicated grid or multidimensional space than a simple sliding scale of “best” to “baddest.” All that said, Bolas probably wins for baddest no matter how you crunch the moral math.
What do you think? What are your picks? Should we consider other good/evil categories?
i rly want to play vik right now but the login queue for league is like 10 minutes long and i’m impatient enough to be like fuck that shit m8
Wrong neighborhood Piltover.
askpiltoverjayce For help with idea and design.
Thank you to Stephanos Rex for inspirational work.